Friday, July 15, 2011

6 Month Appointment and Ultrasound

UPDATE (7/6/11 & 7/7/11):  Kevin and I went in for my 6 month check up with Dr. Guiroy on Wednesday, the 6th.  She listened to Logan's heartbeat, and did the usual blood pressure test, and measurements.   When she measured my belly, she said I was already at 30cm, which was bigger than average.  That REALLY did not make me feel good at all. :(  I couldn't understand why I was measuring big since I'd been eating well and being active.  She told me that there was a chance that I had a condition called polyhydramnios, which basically means that I could have extra amniotic fluid in my uterus.  She told me to get an ultrasound the following day to check the fluid levels.  




Of course, I was freaking out!  She said that if I did have extra fluid, the worst side effect was possible early labor.  She explained that when there is fluid in the uterus, the uterus thinks that it's full to capacity because of the baby, when in actuality, it's mainly the extra fluid!  I scheduled the ultrasound for 6pm the following evening, and Kevin and I went to Chipotle for dinner.  I was so scared and hated that I had to wait SO long to do the ultrasound.  Needless to say, the rest of the night was filled with both of us googling everything we could about polyhydramnios, and a few tears on my end. 


ULTRASOUND:  The following evening, Kevin and I went to get my ultrasound.  It turned out that I did have extra fluid in my uterus.  Logan was having a blast moving all around in his "swimming pool" though.  The ultrasound tech measured the fluid and said that I had 23.4 cm of fluid and that the normal range was below 20.  She was a little too chatty and began telling me about how she had this happen when she was pregnant, and that her baby was born at 36 weeks. bla bla bla.  Basically, she freaked me out even more! She also measured Logan and said that he was measuring at about 26.5 weeks, even though I was only 24 weeks!  Basically, that led us to believe that I may have gestational diabetes. :(  It left me feeling so guilty that I could have done something to cause this, even though I knew there was almost never a cause for why this happens.  Waiting for the results of the ultrasound was SOOO frustrating.  I had to call and pester the doctor several times until I finally heard back from her on Monday!  


RESULTS:  She did make me feel a little better by saying that my amniotic fluid level was NOT abnormal.  She said that I was on the higher side of normal, but nothing to freak out about at all!!! She did want me to take the glucose test early to check for gestational diabetes and she also wanted me to schedule another ultrasound in 3 weeks to check the fluid level again.


All in all...this has been a very emotional week.  I know how blessed I've been so far in this pregnancy, and am trying my very best to stay positive.  I will do everything I can so that Logan and I stay healthy throughout the remainder of my pregnancy, even if it means that I do have gestational diabetes and have to change my diet, poke my finger for blood tests after every meal, and monitor what I eat. It's not going to be easy, but we'll see what the glucose test says!

No comments:

Post a Comment